Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Espinar: ¡Sí, Se Puede!

APORVIDHA has been such a great learning experience.  We get into the grit of Peru that I probably wouldn't learn about otherwise.  For example, our biggest project these days has been that of the mine in Espinar, a town outside of Cusco.

There is a foreign mine in Espinar called Xstrata Tintaya, and it brings in much revenue for the country, as do the many other mines of this mineral-rich country.  Unfortunately the mine is contaminating the waters of Espinar and the people recently began to protest and even strike.  The mine company has paid the town's police, however, so when the authorities responded to the protests, it resulted in the death of two protestors, many more injuries, and the detention of seven.


A Peruvian speaking out at the forum
Two weeks ago, APORVIDHA held a taller, or forum, about the rights of indigenous pueblos.  The following day there was a press conference in our very own office, and a priest, lawyers, and activists were interviewed by the dozens of journalists, ranging from PeruTV to MSNBC.  Thanks to the pressure this put on the figures of Espinar (along with pressure from other organizations in the Cusco region), the judge liberated the detainees.  However, they took the mayor of Espinar under arrest without good reason.  Currently APORVIDHA is working to free the alcalde, to end the contamination and corruption, and to bring justice to Espinar.
At the forum for the rights of the indigenous towns

Needless to say, it has been a busy few weeks at the office and I have learned so much (and still have much more to better understand).

Something I have also learned is that this country seems very divided on Espinar and similar issues.  What I am learning at work is that there needs to be justice in these situations.  We need to better listen to the voices of the pueblos, which are often forgotten about.  This country is so centered in Lima that only bigger areas like Cusco are paid any attention.  From the Amazon to the cielos to the ocean, there are little towns and pockets of Peruvians (especially indigenous Peruvians) who are forgotten.  Apparently if you go to some of these places, people do not even know who their own president is becuase the government does not bother to reach out to them, to provide sufficient education, to inform them, or to allow them a voice.  APORVIDHA sees this as an injustice and is fighting with these communities for their equality.
The Press Conference
Not everyone sees it that way, however.  In my own family even there is quite extreme disagreement, or at least different understandings of such issues.  For example, my abuelo called Cusqueñan students 'communists' when they protested in the streets of Cusco for the rights of the people of Espinar.  From his point of view (or at least what I can gather of his point of view), his country has suffered hell in the times of Fujimori and the Sendero Luminoso.  In this period of the 80s and 90s, there was economic turmoil, severe class inequalities, government corruption, and horrifying violence and terrorism.  After several years and presidents, the country has returned to a positive, stable state.  Terrorism no longer reigns, the government and the economy are mostly stable, and the country knows peace.  After having lived through such terror, however, I can understand how people, like my sweet abuelo, would only want a country without unrest.  The mines provide revenue and if the people could just remain quiet and deal with a little contamination, then the corruption would not be so evident, the stable state of the region would not be compromised, and the country could continue to make a profit.  I can understand this, and I realize there is a past history bigger than I will ever know, and for this reason I try to soak in all of the opinions about this and other related issues.

My heart, as always, however, is with the voiceless.  With APORVIDHA and our allies, I will continue to learn more about social justice in Peru, and I will continue to push for the human rights of the marginalized small town citizens, indigenous people, mujeres, and more.  These voices will be heard.  ¡Sí, se puede!

No comments:

Post a Comment